WWII German ID Disc 41st Infantry Replacement Battalion (Motorized), 10th Infantry/Panzer Grenadier Division
The 10th was originally formed in October 1934, as an infantry division by the expansion of the 20th Infantry Regiment of the old Reichswehr. Its men came from northern Bavaria and the western Sudetenland, and it initially included the 20th, 41st, and 85th Infantry Regiments. It was codenamed “Kommandant of Regensburg” until October 15, 1935, when it officially became the 10th Infantry Division. It fought in southern Poland in September 1939 and in France in 1940. On November 15, 1940, the 10th was reformed as a motorized division and gave up its 85th Infantry Regiment to the 5th Mountain Division. It took part in the Balkans campaign of 1941 and invaded Russia with Army Group Center on June 22. The division crossed the Bug and fought at Bobruisk, Smolensk, the Dnieper crossings, Gomel, Kiev, Bryansk, and Tula, and in the Battle of Moscow and other important battles in 1941, suffering heavy casual ties in the process. After the Soviet winter offensive of 1941–42 was halted, the 10th Motorized remained on the central sector during the defensive actions of 1942 (mainly at Moshaisk, Juchnow and Spass Demjansk), and took part in the unsuccessful Kursk offensive of July 1943. Meanwhile, it was officially redesignated the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division on June 13, 1943, and received the 7th Panzer Battalion in October. Sent to the southern sector, the 10th suffered heavy losses in the Battle of Kiev in the fall of 1943. It also fought at Krementschug and in the retreat to the Dnieper. By January 1944, it had only 3,700 men and was defending ten miles of frontage. It retreated through the Ukraine and suffered such heavy losses in the Bessarabia (Romania) debacle in August 1944, that it had to be withdrawn for rest and reorganization. Later that year, it returned to the Eastern Front; now, however, it was only at battle group strength and had only three panzer grenadier and one motorized artillery battalion remaining. In late 1944 and early 1945, it fought at Krakau, Radom, in the retreat from the Vistula, at Goerlitz, and in Silesia. By now, however, the tanks of the 7th Panzer Battalion had been lost and had been replaced by assault guns; the 41st Panzer Grenadier Regiment had apparently been disbanded; and the 10th Panzer Artillery Regiment had only one battalion left. The division, however, continued to resist. It was forced to retreat into Moravia in April, and the remnants of the 10th Panzer Grenadier Division surrendered to the Soviets at Deutsch-Brod on May 10, 1945.
Shipping is $3 inside the US. Paypal invoice please.
This unit was originally created on January 5, 1940, as the 179th Replacement Division, to control replacement and training units in the IX Military District (Hessen and Thuringia). It was reorganized as the 179th Motorized Replacement Division on…