This unit was originally created on January 5, 1940, as the 179th Replacement Division, to control replacement and training units in the IX Military District (Hessen and Thuringia). It was reorganized as the 179th Motorized Replacement Division on February 27, 1942, as the 179th Panzer Replacement Division on April 5, 1943, and as the 179th Reserve Panzer Division on July 30, 1943, when it was and sent to the Laval area of western France. It was used to supply the demands of the regular panzer divisions for trained replacements which, in the fifth year of the war, was tremendous. By late January 1944, the division could only deploy one panzer company, one combat-ready foot battalion, and one coastal defense battalion. It lacked anti-tank weapons, communications equipment, and even transport for its artillery. On May 1, 1944, it was combined with the 16th Panzer Grenadier Division to form the 116th Panzer Division.
Shipping is $3 inside the US. Paypal invoice please.
This division was formed in the Soviet Union behind the lines of Army Group North on January 7, 1944. Its parent unit was the 2nd SS Volunteer Infantry Brigade “Reichsführer-SS” (later designated 2nd Latvian SS Volunteer Brigade), which had been involved…
The 3rd Parachute Division was an airborne division which fought during World War II. It was formed during 1943-44 around a cadre consisting of the veteran 3rd Battalion, 1st Parachute Regiment. The Division was well equipped with 930 MG42s. Each company…